Friday, April 27, 2007

Big Scare

I usually try stick to the light and positive stories and things going on with us, because life is and should be positive, but we had quite the event Wednesday night and if I had known more about what was happening, it might not have been as scary so all current and future parents...pay attention.

Ryan had a small fever Tuesday night and we gave him some Motrin as usual and it came down by Wed morning. Went back up a little but was back down to normal by the afternoon, but he was still tired so he went to bed early. So that gave Misty and I the night to hang out together. Anyway, around 11:30, Misty realized that she forgot to something she had to take to school so had to run to the store. Well no sooner did the garage door shut, Ryan started screaming like I've never heard. I ran in there and reached down to grab him and he was convulsing. I thought he was having a bad dream and tried to calm him down, but nothing. So I took him into the light and his eyes were open but glazed over and were non-responsive. Instant body folding fear. I run into the office, not having any idea what to do and called 911. The whole time he's convulsing and crying. So I'm sure I was the typical freaking out caller, and by the time she hung up with me, he had stopped convulsing and was crying and breathing hard.
The paramedics got there quick, less than 5 mintues I think. He's crying and wimpering and acting scared now. The medics feel him and check him out and suspect a feveral seizure. They want to take him in to the hospital, so they load me and him up on the gurney and head to the ambulance...he won't calm down. Nor will I because Misty had her phone on silent. So we get in the ambulance and head for the hospital and I still couldn't get Misty so I left her probably the voice mail she'll never forget and told her what was happening. By the time she checked out and noticed her phone, we were already at the hospital, it happened that quick. She finally got there and the doctor's checked him out and we finally got him calmed down.
They confirmed what the medics thought, he had a feveral seizure. They assured us this was not an uncommon thing and is not dangerous. A feveral seizure happens to young children that don't have a fever and then all of the sudden get a big one (104) fast..it spikes. As a reaction to that to combat the heat, the body seizes and once it cools off, everything is ok. What freaked us out at the end was that the seizure blurred his vision and he couldn't see us so he was really scared. They got his fever down to normal and checked him out again, they said he had a viral upper respitory infection and that's what caused the fever. So they gave us instructions and ended up sending us home around 1:15am.
We got him home around 1:30am and stayed up checking on him until 3am..he was fine. Woke up at 6:30 and checked his temp, it was normal. We gave him so more meds and he woke up and didn't want to be put down. So, he and I dozed in the chair for about an hour and then at about 7:45...he perks up...looks around wants some more juice. Then he wants down. Walks over to his ball and throws it at me! And we started playing ball with a big smile and talking. So he still got to hang out with Kasi for the day and was just fine. Absolutely unreal. He's one tough and resilient kid man.

So if it should ever happen again, we would of course run to the hospital, but not call 911. I would have known what was happening and not just about died myself. So scary, but I'm glad its fairly common and not dangerous. I had a very similar episode (911 ambulance, seizure, etc) when i was about Ryan's age and my parents never knew what happened. ..now they do. Apparently Misty had one of these when she was little, so Ryan probably was destined for one.
Absolutely terrifying though. I just hope that he can finally stay healthy for a while for his sake and selfishly for our sake....crazy kids man.


Well....I think fishing is in the forecast tomorrow, that'll be a good remedy for stress....hope to have a picture of my massive bass on Sunday.

1 comment:

Ledbetter Fam said...

It is so scary when things like that happen!!! I'm glad that everything turned out okay. You know that you can call us anytime you have medical questions. We may not know all of the answers, but we can certainly help you find them. Love you guys.

Juli Beth