Sunday, March 09, 2008

Transition Week

As I mentioned in my last posting, this past week was week #1 of Ryan sleeping in a toddler bed rather than the nice little crib or "worry less" bed....the results in a minute...

2 of my very closest friends, whom I've known since elementary school had some big news each over the past few weeks.

Zane scheduled a very extravagant trip to Telluride, CO with a friend of his to bring Shawna, his long time girlfriend. By now, no one ever thought twice of him actually proposing, everyone played right into his plan. No one suspected that this little Valentine's Day trip would turn into THE day, but it was and on a mountain in Colorado, their relationship of I believe almost 9 years became an engagement. Congrats to Zane and Shawna and I look forward to being in their wedding and sharing the day with them and it should be one fun party...


Secondly, as you may have noticed if you frequent my blog, I added a link to the right. One of Keith and Resa's blog. The blog will speak for itself, it's great and tells some wild stories already (I need some blog design help apparently) anyway they are pregnant, so big congrats to them, and my they have some fun ahead!

For example....

Ryan moved into his toddler bed this week. A big step for him and for me. When it was bedtime in the past, I put him down and kissed him goodnight and left him there. Some days he would cry, but would get to sleep, other days, straight to bed. Well...not so easy anymore. He has to be tired to get to bed, no more just making him go down. And if he's not that close you get to lay down with him and calm him down enough to get to sleep, or he follows you right out the door! Oddly enough the actual going down part wasn't all that bad, it's the staying there that doesn't work so well...

So, Sunday night, the first night. He went down great, and I'm thinking, man this is cool, not a big deal at all. I even snuck in and took a picture of my not so little boy sleeping like a big boy, it was kind of shocking to me...





So that night there was a big thunderstorm, the dogs were pouncing on me freaking out (which is a new thing for them) but anyway, I got up to check on Ryan and snoozing right along under his new Cars covers. Wow, this is cool.

So about the time I was to wake up, I heard him crying a bit and then nothing, so I'm thinking cool, he rolled back over. Then, not 2 minutes later, I hear his monster truck loudly go off and I run into the living room and find him curled up in a ball on the floor in the office! So I picked him up and laid him down in my bed while I got ready. So after day 1, not bad he made it.

Night #2: Getting down wasn't so easy, it took a couple extra minutes and finally got him down and then no sounds all night. I checked on him when I woke up and he wasn't in his room so I start looking around and find him sound asleep on the guest bed, it was very cute, but I decided I wasn't a big fan of him wandering around the house at night. I figured he would come to me when he got up, but nope.

Night #3: I decided that if he woke up, he was going to be confined to his room, so I put the door knob thing on his door to his room to keep him there. Got him down pretty good and middle of the night, I woke up to him crying at the door. He was pretty much half asleep, so I put him right back down and was fine until 5:30am! when it was get up time.

The way I know if he's awake or not when he's at the door. If he's still half asleep, he cries at the door. And if he's awake, the following happens....I hear the door being knocked on softly and then it turns to banging as he starts to say "knock, knock" "Daddy, knock, knock, Daddy!!" haha

And that pattern was the status quo for the rest of the week, go down, wake up once and go back down and wake up at 5:30am. I'm a tired Daddy. But last night he made it all night and woke up early and went back down, so maybe we are making progress.

He wakes up and thinks he needs to get out of bed, this new freedom for him has got to seem pretty cool after sleeping in a cage basically for 2 years. Not all that cool for me, but I guess that's the fun of being a parent, guiding them through each step. Once he figures out that even if he wakes up he can stay in bed, we'll be good to go.



With his new bed, I put him a new room which he loved, more like a little boys room now..check it out.








Time for a week of sleeping from bed time to alarm time! Then, get ready for round #2 of night walking.



Cool Dude....

No comments: