Sunday, November 11, 2007

Great Sports Weekend

This weekend was a wild weekend of sports for me. Our softball team played in a tournament on Saturday. Many of you know the struggles we've had in the past, we have the talent, but just can't get everything together and enough hits to win some games, our record for the season is 1-4.
All that being said, the tournament and the day was something to remember and a blast, brought back old memories of soccer and baseball tournaments back when I was a kid. I have no visual evidence of this day, but I'll see what words can do.
Keith and Resa drove in from Tyler for the day of games. Resa for a day of games with Ryan and Keith to play with us, his old team.
As you can imagine, we were hopeful, but realistic of our chances. Travis had a date night planned (hope he's not in too much trouble, sorry Laura!) I was planning on a nice dinner with Keith and Resa before they drove back, etc.
Little did we know the day we had in store...
We all headed up to the park at 11 to get ready for the first game.
Game 1 was PR Black status quo, get behind early, score a few runs when it was out of hand and lose. So we are now in the losers bracket and have the long road back to the championship. Our attitudes were good though.
Game 2: The second team we played was...well...not good and it took us forever to get going and we finally scored some runs in the 4th and 5th to seal the run rule. Alright, we are feeling better. First game was at noon, this one at 2. It was warm, and we were starting to get a little tired, but no biggie.
Game 3: The next game was at 3, right after that game. We were playing a really good team, they hit the ball well and had a lopsided W already that day. They jumped out early and we chipped away and they keep scoring and we hung around. So here we were down 18-11 going into the bottom of the seventh inning, prospects looked bleak, but hey who knows. So we start hitting and hitting and I look over at Keith and said are we really 3 runs down? Amazing. So there was some hope. So up I came, 1 out, runner on first, and we had chipped the lead to 1 and I hit one over the left fielder's head and ran through a stop sign at 3rd and dove head first for the walk off win! I was tackled at the plate by everyone it was a rush! We were pumped up! (and hurting more)
Game 4: So the next game was at 5 against another stout opponent and we hung with them, they hit well and we played great D and kept it close and I had another chance in the bottom of the last inning for a walk off win and we did it again, a single to left scored 2 runs and we win again!
So on to game #5! At 7pm. We were one of 3 teams left and had to be the visitor this time and played great team and were with the every step of the way and pulled away at the end for a trip to the championship...to meet the team that beat us first.
So at this point we are hurting, tired, calf cramps happening like crazy, but nonetheless fun. Audria, Trisha and Caleb's parents are the loudest 4 person cheering section ever, poor Audria had been out there since noon and wins the fan of the year award!!
Championship Game: We had to beat this team twice to win it all and after the 3rd inning it didn't look good, we were down 3-13. We had a couple calls go against us, got us all fired up and we ran off 10 runs to tie it up! We held them scoreless for the 2nd straight inning and hung 5 more for an 18-13 lead into the last inning. But they chipped away and throw in some clutch hits and a bunch of tired defenders, they ended up pulling out the win 19-18 with 0:00 left. We were disappointed, but very pleased with 2nd place! What a day!
I'm in the process of gathering the number of knee scrapes and sore mucles, I have 5 scrapes and every single muscle is ridiculously sore. Keith, who hadn't played in almost a year, had to be driven half way home by his lovely wife. So halfway home, they stopped to change drivers so Keith could drive, however he was so sore, it took him a minute to get out of the volvo and stumble around to the drivers side and lower himself in. Just as he got in, a cop pulled up and asked if he had been drinking! hahaha. Very funny, I felt that way too last night.

As a team here is our stat line. Crazy numbers:
Runs: 93
Hits: 119
Singles: 89
Doubles: 17
Triples: 10
HR: 3
AVG: .556


So there you go, good times and long blog posting! And to top off the night, Romo is still the man. I expect the Cowboys to win every game, been a while since we've been there huh??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! I just started palying on a basketball team and I'm totally out of shape! Man....when did we get to be so old?
Elisheba