Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Baseball and Life

This past Saturday I got the chance to do something really cool. Brought back a lot of old memories and at the same time created a ton of excitement about possible future memories with Ryan.

My high school baseball coach, Coach Bimmerle, is the head coach for the brand new Mansfield High School (Legacy). Bimmerle was my freshman head coach and my pitching coach while I pitched on Varsity Sophomore and Jr year and became the head varsity coach my senior year. We go back a long way and I just think the world of him.

Like I said, he took over the AHS program my senior year. The previous coach had run off every single talented player my age but me and 3 others. So it was us 4 seniors, 1 junior and the rest sophomores. We went 0-12 in district, lost 8 games by 1 run and never quit, it was a rebuilding year and my class had to take the brunt of the growing pains, it was a hard year and taught me a lot about my character and self-motivation (other than what was instilled in me before). The year after I graduated, the team went to the playoffs. I went to the game in which they won the series and Coach walked up to me afterward and thanked me for building this team. I'll never forget that.

So there's some background on my rough senior year in baseball. Fast forward to this year, Coach B took the head job at the new Mansfield school, first year playing with kids from 3 other high schools, etc...a tall order. Their season has mirrored my senior year, with only having 1 district win. Coach asked me to come say a couple things to the team before the game. I had no idea what to say, but agreed.

On Saturday, Ryan and I grabbed our baseball hats and headed to his first high school baseball game. We got there early enough to run around and he even got on the field and played catch with as many baseballs as he could find to throw, just had a blast.




So as game time approached, it was time for my first attempt at a motivational speech. I told them a few stories about my playing days and about Coach Bimmerle. I mentioned one speech Bimm gave about cherishing every minute you get to play the game you love because one day it'll be gone and you'd give anything to play again. I asked them if they rolled their eyes like I did 8 years ago? They nodded their heads. I said man..it's true!! I love my softball team but I'm left looking forward to playing Monday night softball and its great, but its not baseball, the game I love. I said if you guys are out here you are having fun, so have fun and play hard. Never give away a minute of it.

I talked about how every place I've worked there always seems to be some initiative to try and figure out how to motivate people and I never understood why we had to do that. I told them that they shouldn't have to be patted on the back or yelled at all the time to keep their focus and effort sharp. Sometimes is ok, but they should look into the mirror every night and know they didn't take a pitch off and were behind their teammates all the way and gave it all they had. I told them every day I walked off that field my senior year I gave my Dad a hug and knew full well I gave all I had that day. My family had put a ton of time and commitment into me playing baseball all those years and the least I could do was never give up and bust my butt. I'm sure the same goes for your families? They all knodded in agreement. I said so do it for yourself, always, whether in baseball or school or work or family, don't wait on someone to push you, push yourself.


I also said that no matter when in the game things look bleak, keep standing and yelling for your team. Even if you are down 7 runs in the last inning, I bet you've scored 7 before in one inning, why not the last one? Never take a pitch off and enjoy every minute.


I told the seniors to think about how they could be the first class to help build a successful program going forward and they could bring their kids out to see the school play and look at a couple championship banners and know they helped build that.

I also threw in a couple pieces of advice on how to handle Coach, that he'll yell and scream, but he's got your back and never forget that.

So that was my speech, and I really enjoyed being around those guys and talking with them, kinda brought back memories, but also helped me use what I've learned to teach a little and I love that.

So the game started and Ryan and I headed up to the stands to watch the game. I got the brilliant idea of buying him a push pop. So things were going well and then the spit started flowing, the blue spit mind you. And of course I was out of wipes and we just had a grand time! We had blue shorts and shirts....But he watched the game intently and clapped for good plays and I just saw many years of our time together, and I can't wait. He's one amazing person.



We left after about an hour and got into the truck and he was asleep in 5 minutes, what a big day already.

I got an e-mail from Coach later that night saying that the kids responded differently that game than they had all year. They were down 6-2 going into the bottom of the last inning and came back to win 7-6. Got a few goose bumps...


So that's the story, I love talking baseball and when you can combine baseball and maybe slapping on some life applications, good stuff... Just wanted to share that with those who check my blog out, so take from it what you will, I thought it was a cool story and something I enjoyed, and was impressed how those kids listened and responded.
Just got me thinking about how my parents made all of my games. How they drove me around everywhere and how Matt and Kristin were at every game, my number one fans. As I was for them. It's funny how all that translates into success back then and also how nothing has changed, we are all still our biggest fans and wouldn't miss a thing....


Can't wait for Ryan to go through those lessons and being there for him to help him learn those like my Dad was. Whether its baseball or any other sport or school or just breaking up with his girlfriend, or backing into a mini-van (she was speeding, btw) its constant, just gotta keep learning and letting God mold you every day. That's a hard lesson to figure out and I'm still learning that today.

So much to learn........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, Trisha read your blog last night and said I would enjoy it. She was right. I think I just figured out who the next Lou Holtz is. Baseball is one of the only sports that prepares you for the struggles that you are going to face everyday in the real world. You learn more about overcoming adversity than any other sport. Fail 7 out of 10 times and that gives you a .300% batting average, which gets you in the Hall of Fame, Crazy!

Michael W said...

Thanks man, don't know about the Lou Holtz thing though, ha. Totally agree with you, I think that's why its a hard game for people to grasp and appreciate, you fail most of the time so why bother? Well, because when you succeed its twice as sweet. Teaches you a lot in my opinion, it might sound weird, but its helped me get through a lot.

Ledbetter Fam said...

Thanks for sharing this, Michael. I'm really proud of you that you took the time to share with that team. And, what a great example you are for Ryan. I wish you lots of happy years with lots of fun Baseball memories with your son.

JB

rdub582 said...

Very well written. It brought back lots of great memories. Ryan is lucky to have a dad that is passionate about what life has to offer. It's a pretty good idea to have some fun along the way.

dad

Anonymous said...

That one made me cry...I am so proud of you, and I will always be your biggest fan :)