It's now February and it's the worst time in the sports year. I often begin dreaming of the upcoming baseball season. Having a baseball game on every night of the week, watching Ranger games and heading to the ballpark, waiting on the Natural theme song to play. There is something special about the great game. It brings peace to this world or my world..ha. I played my whole life, and some of the best life experiences and lessons I've had have been because of playing baseball. Just greatness....I've been a Ranger fan forever and my all-time favorite player is, of course Nolan Ryan. He eptimizes everything that's great about baseball and Texas and pitching and being a role model. (The picture above is him pitching after he got hit in the face with a Bo Jackson line drive) He's a man. His numbers are staggering, 5,714 strikeouts (over 1,000 more than 2nd place) and 7 no-nos. I saw him pitch in person twice. One of the times he pitched was the only time he's ever been tossed from a game. He hit Jose Canseco on the hip and was tossed immediately, ridiculous. The fans revolted and threw bottles, etc on the field. Dad finally had to take us out of the game. But I was there! He's the closest thing to a hero for someone I've never met. And now, he's on his way back to Arlington and I'm waiting with open arms!! ha. Maybe I can finally track him down and meet him! He's coming back to be the president of the Rangers and although he can't pitch he'll be around. The Rangers have turned things around and are heading up. He'll be there to lead along with JD. It is now our time over the next few years, playoff baseball is heading our way, I can feel it. It's our time...it has to be sooner or later and I'm voting for sooner! (This year won't be good, but beyond that! ha)
If Ryan (my son of course) likes baseball..awesome! if not, that's equally as great, I'll just pray for him to find something to be passionate about and love to do. We all need something like that. I hope you have something like that.
Go Rangers!
PS: If after reading that you assume my son was named after him. The answer is that he was named after my brother, whose middle name is Ryan. It's an added bonus that Nolan Ryan is my hero. (Makes for good room decor!)
1 comment:
me too, he might not know a thing about being a president, but at least we have something to talk about..ha. anything can happen, my eternal baseball optimism! ha
Post a Comment